Skip to main content

The Great Blanket Remake Part 1

The Great Blanket Remake Begins...

I have put a temporary pause on the Section-A-Long to tackle another big project (and to start planning a wedding!). This project is technically 5+ years in the making, so it is about time for something to be done with it. I am transforming a partially made blanket into something complete and cohesive for donation, and I have decided to take you along for the journey.




As you can see, the blanket comes in a variety of stages of completeness. I have a whole skein, a couple partial skeins, a huge pile of completed granny triangles, and a few rows of granny triangles sewn into a blanket. I am going to tackle this in pieces. The full skeins have been relocated to my fiance's apartment to work on when I am over there. (Oh, I do love calling him my fiance!) The variegated partial skein has already been turned into 2 and a half sections. Oh, I am using my last section-a-long pattern to make all of the sections for this blanket remake.

Now for the fun part. I had to frog all of those completed granny triangles. I started with the ones completed but not seamed. They came apart fairly easily, and I was happily surprised at how quickly I was able to turn them all into little balls of yarn. I ended up with somewhere around 43 8-ish gram balls of yarn. This box is now my donation crochet goal.


I started by just picking balls and making the sections. It takes about 3 little of them to make a section. I made a couple solid green ones and a couple with all yarns and realized that I should probably do a little more planning with what I had. This led me to group them together in threes, and I am glad I did. I didn't have nearly as many of the greys as the other two so I was only able to make a few that had all three yarns. I also didn't want to do solid sections with the variegated since I didn't feel like matching the scraps up appropriately. I ended up with some solid green sets, some sets with 2 greens and a variegated, and some with 2 variegated (and very different) and a green. These sets are now being turned into larger balls that will each become a section. I am also weighing them all just to make sure that I should have enough yarn in each of the new bundles.


By my count, this box will end up making 14 sections all on its own, with the possibility of some leftovers. It looks like I am on track to make enough for at least a child sized blanket which is definitely exciting. I am hoping to make a good set for some joiner out there to work their magic with. I am definitely enjoying this journey, and I am happy to finally be making something good out of a not even half finished blanket that has been sitting in a tote for years! This is a project that I would probably not have had the courage to tackle without the current state of the world, which just goes to show you that some good will come out of this trying time.

Stay tuned for the next installment of the Great Blanket Remake!

-Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spread Kindness Soap Sack Pattern

Making to give By this point, many of you know that I have a huge passion for making things to give to other people, whether those people are friends and family or to those in need. We are in Week #5 of the Section-A-Long I am hosting for Warm Up America (WUA). I decided to take a short break from section making when inspiration struck for a pattern idea for soap sacks. What are soap sacks you ask? They are basically wash cloths made in such a way that they become carriers for soap! They provide an all in one way to get clean and can be really fun. While they can be made and used by anyone, they have become a handmade item collected for those in need as well. The lovely people over at S.A.C.K (Supporting a Community with Kindness) have led an effort to get these soap sacks distributed all over the country. S.A.C.K recently partnered with WUA to collect even more and I must say the response from the WUA Makers group has been inspiring. So whether you are making to donate or to g

WUA Section-A-Long: Week #9

Using up what is left The original plan was to get 6 sections from each color I had picked out for my Sweet Tooth Hotel Sections, but because of small differences in the skeins, I had enough left of two colors to do another whole section. I had some left of the other two colors as well, and they will be coming back for a fun stripey pattern later this year! If you are reading this "live" remember that we have until March 18th to mail all sections for the Sweet Tooth campaign. We still have a LONG way to go to reach those lofty goals set at the beginning of the campaign so crochet away! Make sure you have checked out the original section-a-long post , if you haven't already for the list of supplies you will need, and if you missed any of them, the other patterns are all linked at the bottom of that post! Using minimal amounts of yarn I pay a lot of attention to how much yarn each section takes to make. Partially because I enjoy details like that, and partia

WUA Section-A-Long Kickoff (Section #1)

Getting Ready Y'all, I am so excited to get this section-a-long started! Today we will be starting with a very simple section to help get your feet wet with section making. This is not my go-to pattern/stitch when I am making sections, but it is a great starting place. Make sure you have checked out the original section-a-long post , if you haven't already for the list of supplies you will need. Hopefully you have picked out some fun yarn to get started with, or maybe you are using this as a scrap/stash busting project. Each section pattern will come with an approximate amount of yarn needed for that pattern so you will have a good idea if you have enough if you are planning on going to scrap route. Foundation Single Crochet Section #1 will use the single crochet stitch. However, we will not start the section with a starting chain. We will start the section using a foundation single crochet stitch. Don't worry, I will be sharing several good resources for you to lear