Skip to main content

Charity Crochet: 2019 Review and 2020 Goals

Charity Crochet

As many of you may know, or have found out based on the other blog posts, crocheting donation items is a very important part of what I do. I started crocheting for charity when I ran out of people I knew who needed/wanted things I could make. I had yarn and could not stand to not be doing something with my hands so I turned to making things for those in need.

This endeavor has turned into so much more than just needing to stay busy. I feel like it is something I am supposed to be doing with my time and talent. I am warm. I have multiple blankets (ones I have made and ones that have been bought). I have plenty of hats and scarves of my own. Everyone isn't so lucky. There are people out there that are cold. There are people that can greatly benefit from the comfort that a handmade item can provide. I can help these people, and I feel like I have to do what I can towards that purpose.

I wanted to take some time today to look back at what I did in 2019 and write down my goals for 2020.

2019 Review

In 2019, I found Warm Up America, and they received the bulk of my crocheted donations last year. I also donated to a local coat drive and sent in bet blankets to the Pink Slipper Project. I tallied up all the numbers and this is what I did in 2019:

Totals:

  • Sections: 148
  • Hats: 30
  • Scarves: 2
  • Mittens: 3
  • Blankets: 1
  • Pet Blankets: 3
This gives an overall total of 187 items! I am so happy with this number. It is a pretty small dent in the 100,000+ items that Warm Up America received in 2019, but that is the incredible part. There are so many of us across the country making what we can and together we can make such an impact in our communities and country.

2020 Goals

Now for the fun part. I get to decide what goals I want to set for myself for the coming year. I definitely want to get more scarves made this year than last. I will also be making several sections through the section-a-long that I am hosting, so if charity crochet is something you are interested in be sure to check that out! I am also hoping to get a couple blankets done. One for a benefit auction and one for WUA. Let's get to the numbers:

Goals:

  • Sections: 100
  • Hats: 30
  • Scarves:10
  • Blankets: 2
  • Other: 8+
I want to at least make 150 items this year. Of course blankets take a lot more work to make than sections or baby hats, so I may not make as many items as I did in 2019. Hopefully I can still have a big impact with what I do make.

Wish me luck on hitting these goals! I will be sure to keep you all updating on how I am progressing towards these numbers too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spread Kindness Soap Sack Pattern

Making to give By this point, many of you know that I have a huge passion for making things to give to other people, whether those people are friends and family or to those in need. We are in Week #5 of the Section-A-Long I am hosting for Warm Up America (WUA). I decided to take a short break from section making when inspiration struck for a pattern idea for soap sacks. What are soap sacks you ask? They are basically wash cloths made in such a way that they become carriers for soap! They provide an all in one way to get clean and can be really fun. While they can be made and used by anyone, they have become a handmade item collected for those in need as well. The lovely people over at S.A.C.K (Supporting a Community with Kindness) have led an effort to get these soap sacks distributed all over the country. S.A.C.K recently partnered with WUA to collect even more and I must say the response from the WUA Makers group has been inspiring. So whether you are making to donate or to g

WUA Section-A-Long: Week #9

Using up what is left The original plan was to get 6 sections from each color I had picked out for my Sweet Tooth Hotel Sections, but because of small differences in the skeins, I had enough left of two colors to do another whole section. I had some left of the other two colors as well, and they will be coming back for a fun stripey pattern later this year! If you are reading this "live" remember that we have until March 18th to mail all sections for the Sweet Tooth campaign. We still have a LONG way to go to reach those lofty goals set at the beginning of the campaign so crochet away! Make sure you have checked out the original section-a-long post , if you haven't already for the list of supplies you will need, and if you missed any of them, the other patterns are all linked at the bottom of that post! Using minimal amounts of yarn I pay a lot of attention to how much yarn each section takes to make. Partially because I enjoy details like that, and partia

WUA Section-A-Long Kickoff (Section #1)

Getting Ready Y'all, I am so excited to get this section-a-long started! Today we will be starting with a very simple section to help get your feet wet with section making. This is not my go-to pattern/stitch when I am making sections, but it is a great starting place. Make sure you have checked out the original section-a-long post , if you haven't already for the list of supplies you will need. Hopefully you have picked out some fun yarn to get started with, or maybe you are using this as a scrap/stash busting project. Each section pattern will come with an approximate amount of yarn needed for that pattern so you will have a good idea if you have enough if you are planning on going to scrap route. Foundation Single Crochet Section #1 will use the single crochet stitch. However, we will not start the section with a starting chain. We will start the section using a foundation single crochet stitch. Don't worry, I will be sharing several good resources for you to lear